Saturday, March 13, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

For many reasons, I have decided to try something new. My colleagues and I often discuss kids overwhelming sense of entitlement these days. This includes material things, to privileges, to the simple, these rules can't possibly apply to me. I guess I am feeling more determined to create a sense of gratitude in my children. Yes, we pray and we thank God daily for things but I sometimes think it can become sort of ritualistic, especially for children. Then when they do say something worth noting, I don't take the time to write it down. When the kids were younger, we would often state daily what made them happy that day or something they appreciated, but the truth of the matter with busy schedules, that's sort of fallen by the waste side. Since, they are more than capable of speaking for themselves, I am hoping to ask them on a weekly basis for something they are grateful for and record it here. I am not lost in the fact that adults can sometimes have the same sense of entitlement and lead the pack for whining and complaining. Therefore, I intend to lead by example and work on my own sense of gratitude. I realize for the 2-3 people who read this blog this might be boring and not all that noteworthy, so feel free to skip these post.


However, for the intended audience of this blog, my children, I hope this ritual creates a heart of gratitude and appreciation and I hope you will one day be able to look back at this and see all the big and small things that made you happy, made you smile, and above all realize God's blessings.



Gratitude Journal 1:


Me: I have so much to be thankful for this week, but I must say my partner in life, my husband. I realize that this may seem a bit cliche and where else would I begin, but it's true and here are just a few reasons why.



  • On Monday, I attended a funeral to support a co-worker who had lost his father. Rick was kind enough to offer and attend with me. Since he was off early that day, he offered to take Delaney to dance which allowed me the evening at home to get a few things done and spend time with my boys. It's always the little things that are most appreciated.


  • I had parent/teacher conferences on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. This is always a difficult and exhausting week, so I am glad it only comes twice a year. To complicate things, the boys had baseball practice on Tuesday and Delaney had softball practice on Thursday evening. Rick of course helps to coach the boys team and he stayed with Delaney since it was her first practice. On Thursday, not only did I have to work late, but I also had to be at work early, so Rick had to get the kids ready and drop them off by himself. While all of this is not an impossible task for one parent, it's always nice to have extra hands and support. I know going it alone wasn't easy but he didn't complain.


  • It's Saturday and while the rest of us were doing our fair share of cleaning, he pitched in by vacuuming and going to the store. It's just always nice to know you have a true partner in life.

Jax: I am happy that mommy is reading to us, Diary of a Wimpy Kid.


(To my surprise, they began taking interest in the movie previews, so I decided to bring the book home from my classroom. I wasn't sure if they would have the attention span or comprehension level needed to read this book but I was wrong. The main character is a bit pessimistic so I've changed a few of his words and had to explain some of the expressions or vocabulary but all in all, they are loving the book and listening intently. Over the past two days, we've made it to page 115. I'll do anything to ensure they love reading!)


Baylor: The Diary of a Wimpy Kid book because I like it. I am happy that mom is reading it. (note to self: interview separately)


Delaney: I am thankful for mommy because she's nice and I missed her tucking me in and everything you do at night. (Sweet girl must want something)



post signature

No comments: