Wednesday, March 10, 2010

6 1/2

My kids are now officially 6 1/2, which seems virtually impossible. It seems like only yesterday we were celebrating in the Magic Kingdom. I have to admit, at times, the age of 6 hasn't been all that magical. Maybe the two's are just still too much of a blur; I certainly remember them having their fair share of meltdowns at this age, especially when we ventured off of their routine. I don't remember the three's being all that terrible except for the frustrating part of potty-training the boys. So, I'm thinking, for us, it just may be the terrible 6's. In the past few months, my children have really challenged me in ways I hadn't quite imagined or at least hadn't imagined until they were at least teens. It was as if my cooperative angels had been replaced by little demons. While becoming more opinionated, stubborn, and strong-willed, they seemed to also become downright lazy.

I have learned to ride the wave with Baylor, as he has always presented me with challenges from time to time. He's always been so emotional, especially when he feels frustrated or doesn't get what he wants. Controlling his emotions and re-directing them has been something we've always worked on. However, over the past few months, Delaney seems to be engaging me in power struggles. It seems she wants to challenge me on everything from clothes, to hair, to when to take a bath or get out of the bath and anything else. It's clear she wants to be the boss and do things when she wants to do them. Then, my most cooperative, easy going, people pleasing child, Jax decided he just didn't care about anything.

When we weren't in combat, it seemed as if they were completely ignoring me and I found myself repeating directions 10 times. And while I was taking way privileges, it didn't seem to do anything but wear me out. I was at a complete loss and if I heard my kids say, "I don't wanna" one more time, I felt like I was going to end up in the loony bin.

On a whim, one Sunday morning, I quickly decided to give each of them a card which was nothing more than a mini-chart with traits and behaviors I wanted them to display such as kind words, listening/following directions, and a general category of good choices. The card contains a total of 25 boxes which they must earn X's for and once their card is complete they earn a reward. Jax and Delaney took to this system immediately. They all dressed themselves for church for the first time in forever and have ever since then. And, for the first week, Jax was up and out of bed dressing himself for the first time all year. They've even took on additional chores such as cleaning up without a fight, helping to empty the dishwasher etc. We've had our chart system for 5 or 6 weeks and I am happy to report that while some of the eagerness to earn X's by doing additional chores and tasks has faded, they are doing so much better. Our sweet Jax returned, Baylor seems to be in a pretty good place for now, and we're still working on Delaney's attitude at times.

The completion of their chart earns them $5, so they are also learning to manage their money. I just hope I can continue with this system and the positive re-enforcement. I am sure we will face many more challenges and probably in a few years, I will look back and see this as nothing more than a little bump, as I face even bigger things. God help me!

I feel compelled to end on a positive note as not all things are bad. They are excelling in school, reading fluently, and have learned so much this year. They still amaze me everyday by saying something funny or even somewhat insightful for a 6 year old. On most days, they get along well with each other and still love lots of affection from their parents. We are so blessed to have the privilege to be their parents in the best of moments and in those that challenge us.

post signature

No comments: