Saturday, April 4, 2009

Talent & Competition

Who knew Pre-K would breed competition. Thursday, the kids were telling me all about how they were going to have a show-n-tell/talent day at school, where the kids would take something and show off their special talent. Delaney said that she and another friend, Jayda were going to take their hula hoops as their special talent. I haven't even seen Delaney pull out her hula hoop in quite a few months, but who I was I to dampen her spirit. I asked the boys what talent they were planning to show off and they said they were going to show off their mastery of light saber skills. Shocking! The story went on that the teacher was going to be gone on Friday so they would have their talent day the following week. I am not sure what happened but I guess Jayda ended up bringing her hula hoop to school on Friday and needless to say amazed everyone with her hula skills. So, since Delaney got home yesterday, she has been insistent on practicing as she has to be better than Jayda. She was practicing until 8:30 last night and didn't want to go to bed. I have to say she's made improvement and now can say she has hula talent. I guess, I am proud that she can have a goal and be disciplined enough to try and reach it.

A side note is that while Jayda is friends with all of the kids, Jayda has a special love for Jax. But since Delaney and Jayda have found a common interest in hula, I guess Jayda blew off Jax. Jax told Rick that something had come between them. (Where does a 5 year old come up this?) Rick asked what it was and he said he didn't know. I am glad that he is blind to the truth. Maybe this is why they get along so well at school.

No comments: