Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Season Begins



Monday evening the kids played their first game of coach pitch baseball. I was reluctant to let them play as the temperature was in the 40's with a wind chill in the 30's, but apparently I was one of very few parents who were concerned. Rick couldn't see us sitting out as we would put the team down three players, so we bundled up and headed to the field. The kids excitement for the first game of the season worked in their favor. I guess the initial adrenaline rush helped to keep them a little warmer. Once we left the house, I didn't get any pictures that evening because I was either so cold I didn't want to move or I was trying to keep kids warm in the dug-out. I know my initial appearance in the dug-out irritated Rick, but I was only doing what I could to keep them warm, so they could go out and play when it was their turn. I think he realizes this now. And, pictures would have only showed kids with red faces and runny noses. Baylor and Delaney tolerated the cold much better than Jax. He definitely has my blood and was literally shaking while he was up at bat.

We lost by one run, but our kids played great considering the weather conditions and that it was their first game of the season. At the end, with teeth still chattering, each of them said they had fun. Even after a warm bath that night the boys slept with more covers than I think they ever have in their lifetime.

Tuesday evening, we picked up our first win of the season. The kids each got a hit; they are definitely making improvement. I'm exhausted from this weeks events. We play every Monday and Tuesday from now until the end of May. I can tell it's going to be a very long couple of months.

No comments: