Saturday, January 10, 2009

Addiction

Apparently, addiction can strike at any age. While all of the kids enjoy the Wii system, Baylor seems to love it. Over the break, I would notice that the other two would lose interest after a bit, but Baylor would stick with it playing for quite some time and he learned how to maneuver the system with ease. When picking up the kids on Tuesday from my mom's, I stayed a while to help her with her new lap top. Baylor whined the entire time asking, when we were going to leave. This seemed odd but I didn't think that much of it. As soon as we arrived home, he caught me and spoke very quietly, "Mom, can I play the Wii?" I replied yes and he said, "okay...but don't tell Delaney or Jaxon." He wanted it all to himself. This is a new learned skill as none of my children have learned the skill of secrecy even when it would benefit them. During his Wii gaming session, he went exploring options and inadvertently erased a couple of channels. Of course, he was very apologetic and although we didn't punish him, we did stress the importance of not clicking on random buttons. Fast forward to the following day....we had been home for about five minutes. I was in the kitchen when Baylor approached me, "Mom, I need to tell you something. I am not going to play that Wii game." Thinking it might be because he felt bad for the previous day, I asked him why. He replied, "Well, I just been playing it too much." I said okay and he started to walk away but then turned around, "I'm just really not going to play that Wii game." I told him if he wanted to play it then it would be okay and asked him if he wanted me to turn it on for him. He adamantly replied this time, "I told you...I DON'T want to play it!" However, while he said it, he walked straight over to the controls. I said, "I'll turn it on for you." He said, "Okay, thanks...I want to play Wii Skorts(sports)." It was as if he tried to stay strong but just couldn't help himself.

*And as a side note, as I was typing this post, I had to stop and turn on the Wii.

Here is a picture of Baylor from last Sunday playing the Wii. I made him take off his church clothes, but he never got around to dressing in some sweats or taking off his socks. Although, most probably don't want to see my little boy in his underwear, Rick thought his fashion statement was hilarious. He thought it was so funny, he even took this picture.

And another picture taken by my husband, the new photographer.....(He said he has decided to take more pictures. This is two for for the New Year so this beats his record from last year.) Since, I am speaking of addiction...here's Delaney with her current addiction, watching "Jon & Kate Plus 8." We have a bunch of episodes on our DVR and she watches one every evening even though she has seen them a million times. She has Baylor watching them at times. So, I'm curled up with the kids and looking at Rick in shock that he has picked up the camera once again. What you can't see is I am using my phone to access Facebook...my newest addiction. Looks like we could all use a 12 step program.

1 comment:

April said...

I love the Wii and Jon and Kate plus 8. I guess I am in trouble too!