Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Chicken Pox

Today, God once again, let me know who was in control. I had my day all planned. My students were going to take a quiz, which meant most of the day their heads would be down and busy. I had a very ambitious plan to finish grading projects, enter grades and even begin grading their quizzes. However, that plan was halted when I received a call from the school nurse saying Jax was running a low grade fever and was broke out with spots. She said she suspected chicken pox as there was an unconfirmed case the previous week. I was thinking surely this is an allergic reaction, but by the time I could find coverage for my class, schedule an appoitnment with the doctors office, Delaney was also showing signs of a few spots. I took all three to their pediatrician's office, where they diagnosed them with break through chicken pox. The doctor said that it's rare but they do have such cases. In fact, a little over a year ago, most Pediatricians began giving a chicken pox booster. Thinking they had all of their shots, I didn't take them for their well check up when they turned 6, so some how it was overlooked. The Doctor said most cases are rather mild and may even last only a few days.


So far, Delaney's outbreak is very mild, with some on her arm and just a few scattered about. Jax on the other hand is pretty much covered from head to toe, with more appearing by the minute. He's also ran fever and is definitely uncomfortable. He needs a little extra attention, but overall he's being a trooper. If Delaney gets them this bad, we could be in trouble!


Delaney asked, "mom, does this mean I am allergic to chicken?"


It's no wonder these two are sharing the pox together. Delaney inspects Baylor on a regular basis but so far so good. The doctor said there's a chance he may not get them but he's in quarantine for the week. The boys were pretty upset about missing their game tonight.



And really who knew after being vaccinated you could still get the chicken pox? Ironically, Sunday the kids were asking about chicken pox, such as what they were and how you got them? I answered their questions and told them how I had them as a kid, and then told them they had shots so they probably wouldn't get them, as not many kids get them these days. Famous last words! Oh well, while I don't like seeing my kids itchy, there are certainly far worse things. I count my blessings.



post signature

No comments: