Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard 2011

As predicted, the blizzard arrived right on time very early Tuesday and continued through the day, dumping record breaking snows across the area. Tulsa received 14 inches; the reports for Skiatook have been somewhere around 17 inches. During Day 1, the kids kept a vigil at the door, providing regular updates with the amount of snow falling and accumulating, along with vast plans to build forts and tunnels through the massive snow drifts. I managed to keep everyone indoors and entertained with games and baking. That evening, we ventured out long enough to collect some snow for our traditional snow ice cream. Day 2, I could avoid it no longer, so we bundled up and headed out. In my opinion, it was brutally cold, but then again, I don't really have the clothing or boots to be out in the snow for very long. It's one thing to look out at the snow, but it's entirely different to actually be out in it and have snow up to my knees. It didn't take long for me to begin trying to entice them in with the promise of hot chocolate.









































Rick cleared the driveway but without 4-wheel drive, I don't know that we'll be venturing out anytime soon unless the city arrives to plow some of the snow. Truck's haven't been able to get into town to re-stock shelves, so our Wal-Mart doesn't have many of the basics. I like everyone else made my run to the grocery store to stock up with the essentials before the blizzard, but it's amazing how you begin to look at food differently after realizing you may not be making it to the store for several days. Being home more, the boys were guzzling chocolate milk, so I've had to begin rationing. I spent the first day baking and used many of our eggs so now I am also considering carefully what I should prepare. Don't get me wrong; we have PLENTY of food. It's just that you begin to examine consumption a little more closely when you don't know when you might be able to replenish.
signature

No comments: