Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Evenings Amusement

I'm pretty sure Christmas Break seemed like an eternity for the kids, while for me it seemed to pass in a flash. The kids were very excited to return to school today and I noticed Baylor, in particular really recounting all that he had learned today. The kids reading skills are really taking off and they are beginning to spell, and read everyday print, trying to sound out many words around them. While eating dinner, Baylor began to talk about compound words. Somewhere in the process he began to talk about spaghetti (which we were not having for dinner) and he was really pronouncing every syllable. I noted that he still called it, Basghetti, and Delaney was still pronouncing it, Pesghetti. I guess it's one of those things that I thought was cute at one point, and then I just became accustomed to it. However, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to explain that it actually began with the letter, s, and I sounded it out slowly for them. Delaney immediately began to try and pronounce it correctly, while Baylor was off in his own world sounding it out slowly. He then turned to Delaney and said, "See, Delaney...the Ba, Ba sound is silent."

post signature

No comments: