Friday, January 1, 2010

Defining a Decade

I'm sure soon historians will begin to define the last decade, just as they have defined previous decades. There was the "big" 80's decade, the "grunge" 90's etc. I'm pretty sure, no matter what historians label the past ten years, for me it will be the most defining. I realize this is a hefty statement, considering I'm only in my 30's, but it was most certainly our decade of beginnings.

In October of 2000, we began our journey together as husband and wife.

In 2002, we began our walk with God and found a wonderful church home.
Although not quite as planned, we began our journey into parenthood with a bang in 2003.We soon learned that our lives would never be the same. As two very independent people, we learned that we would have to work together, and accept help and support from those around us. We watched our preemies blossom into three little people with distinct personalities. We celebrated milestones, but none as significant as surviving our first year of parenthood.

In 2004, leaving the corporate world behind, I began a career in education. This certainly wasn't easy in the beginning, but a decision I don't regret in the least. The schedule and time flexibility lead me to this decision, but surprisingly, I learned that this was actually a great fit for me, and I finally found something I felt passionate about.

In 2005, feeling a bit more stable but rapidly out growing our first home, as toddlers romped about, we decided to build a home more suitable to our needs. This move took us about a mile north of our current location. Our first experience in selling and building a new home was stressful to say the least.

In 2006, after living in our new home for less than 5 months, life brought us another unexpected turn. Rick was offered a position with Conoco Phillips. Accepting this position meant we would have to move...again. We survived yet another move (much farther north) in 2007, and I think it would be fair to say we have spent the past two years trying to adjust to our life in a new town.

For the most part, we will probably remember this decade for round the clock feedings, endless diapers, first words, learning to walk, potty-training, ABC's, and all the joys that those first years bring. We traded in our social engagements and interests, for a child driven social calendar of activities and birthday parties.
We wrapped up the final months of this decade, with the entrance into Kindergarten. We are learning to adjust to a new routine, consisting of packing lunches, homework, learning to read, and trying to balance activities.

One thing is for sure God granted me many gifts in the past ten years. He taught me that life doesn't always follow my agenda, and an even harder lesson that life can be unexpectedly cut short. With that, I have no idea what is in store the next ten years, but I hope that it will build on all our beginnings. I pray we will continue to mature spiritually, guide our children towards a Christian walk, and never take what he has bestowed upon us for granted.

No comments: