Sunday, August 26, 2012

Last Summer Getaway

Early in the summer we decided that one of our summer getaways would include taking in a baseball game.  After looking at the calendar, we decided to travel to Kansas City to watch the Royals take on the Rangers.  I'm not really much of a baseball fan but I enjoy going for the atmosphere and family adventure. Papa Russell also decided to join us.

A few years ago, we went to an extremely overcrowded Schlitterbahn water park in San Antonio so we were very hesitant about trying another one.  However, several friends urged us to try the one in Kansas City.  Well, I've decided we must be cursed.  On the day we arrived to the water park, it was posted that the newest part of the water park, with three of the large slides was closed.  We soon realized that 3 slides, meant half of the park was now closed.  It wasn't nearly as crowded as the San Antonio park but with only four other slides open, this mean the lines were extremely long.  We waited an hour for a 30 second fun thrill.  No one wanted to wait again in line. We made the best of our day and spent most of our time in the lazy wave river. There were a few other mishaps in the park but I won't go into detail.  I'll just leave it as it didn't meet our expectations.

Saturday evening, we went to Oklahoma Joe's and enjoyed some really good BBQ.   In fact, if you ask the kids, they will tell you that one of their favorite things about the trip was all the great places we ate. 

 Sunday, which just happened to be my birthday, we headed to the ball park.   I'm sure Rick felt like it was his birthday more than mine! :)  We were super thankful for cooler temperatures.  Jax enjoyed the game but I'm pretty sure Baylor was a little bored.  It did go into extra innings and even though I was originally cheering on the Rangers, by the ended I just wanted someone to win!


No comments: