Sunday, August 26, 2012

5K. Check.





A few years ago, the words Tammy and run didn't belong in the same sentence.  But, about three summers ago, I began jogging.  At first, I was amazed that I could even make it a mile and slowly over time, I've added distance.  One of my biggest problems is that once I get into shape during the summer, I don't tend to keep it up once school starts and the weather gets colder. 

Last summer, I ran three miles a couple of times and had thought about doing a 5K but it's been one of those things that I just never committed to.  In June, my friend convinced me we should do the Glo Run in August.  At the time, I was running close to three miles so that really didn't scare me (except for the fact that I run incredibly slow), but I was afraid of entering a race in August.  There is the obvious factor, heat and then, the fact that August is just so crazy with school starting.  In the end, I decided that maybe a run would keep me motivated.  Well, the brutal heatwave of July didn't help me with my training.  I didn't run much at the end of the month and then just as I predicted, I was completely exhausted those first days of school.  However, within the past two weeks, I made it a point to get in at least three runs/week. It was difficult at first but I did it and felt confident I could finish. 

The obstacle I feared most- heat wasn't even a factor.  The course was flat but during line-up, minutes before the race, it began to rain, making it very slick.  It was really difficult to keep a good pace because there were so many walkers with little regard to those trying to run.  I ran off the pavement a few times just to get around people but there were so many holes. I felt like I was constantly weaving through people, all while not killing myself on the millions of glo sticks people had dropped on a very dark trail.  It wasn't until the last mile did I feel like I really had a decent steady pace. So, in the end, it wasn't my best time but my goals was to finish.  And, that I did!

No comments: