Saturday, August 30, 2008

Peace

The kids went with my mother to a family reunion in Jett, which is located towards the Oklahoma Panhandle. Apparently, some of our family were founders of the town during the Oklahoma land run. The kids were pumped to take another mini-vacation, and I have to admit I was looking forward to a little "down" time. They left Friday after school; so, Rick and I actually went out on a date that evening. We still had a gift card from Christmas we had never used which shows how often we actually go on a date. We rarely get a sitter unless we have something to attend with other people. It was nice to have dinner and see a movie without any little voices interrupting. And, I also felt more freedom not worrying about how the kids were doing at home or making sure we were home at a certain time.
Saturday, I met a couple of friends for breakfast and then ran some errands, and did a little shopping. I returned home to an empty house (Rick was gone enjoying the games with friends) about mid-afternoon. In the past 5 years, I have never had the house to myself for more than an hour. Thinking the kids would be home around 5 or 6, I cleaned house, did laundry etc. I had to remind myself that I could actually sit down and watch the living room television instead of retreating to my bedroom. At first, I enjoyed the peace but as time went on, I really felt lonely. The house just felt so empty without my children. The kids didn't end up getting home until close to 8. I didn't want to start any big project because I kept thinking they would be home. Typically time flies but it seemed to pass ever so slowly. Ironically, it seems I am always wanting a little peace and when I finally got it, I didn't know what to do with it!
Within 10 minutes of the kids return, reality set hold. While giving the kids a bath, Baylor and Delaney got into a little fight and they were both crying. They were tired so they went off to bed very easy. But, even in that short amount of time, the house is no longer spotless. There is a toy sitting on the couch and toys are on the stairs. And, even though the kids are now sleeping and silence feels the house, I no longer feel lonely. Life seems normal once again.

No comments: